Thursday, March 28, 2013

The "Maundy" in Maundy Thursday.


   Since I was a child I've been asking the same question every time the Holy Week comes.  What exactly does the word "Maundy" in Maundy Thursday means?  Thanks to google and wikipedia I am now able to look it up.  This was a resource not available 2 decades ago and is something that I can use now.  So far, I have gotten 2 significant definitions of the word online:

1. :a ceremony of washing the feet of the poor on Maundy Thursday.
2. a: alms distributed in connection with the maundy ceremony or on Maundy Thursday
   b: maundy money.

   The second definition is more of a tradition that was started by the English Monarchs centuries ago.  The first one, on the other hand, is more of what the explanation I needed was.  Connecting it to what I actually know about the New Testament in the Bible, it was then a Thursday when Jesus washed his disciples' feet which was just before the Friday when he died on the cross.

   Now I can rest knowing what it meant and not asking myself the same question I've been asking since childhood.



contents source: wikipedia
image source: www.istorya.net

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is bullshit,,,wahhhh